Friday, February 15, 2008

Drive By Truckers on Vinyl!





So I have this New Year's resolution that I'll buy my music locally. I spend a lot of my discretionary funds on tunes, and often have been known to order over the 'net. But I love record stores, and I hate to hear of them generally being in bad shape these days and closing down.
So I hear a while back that the Drive-By Truckers are rereleasing their back catalog on vinyl, and Music Direct has them all. They're limited to 1000 copies each, so I'd better get them quick.....
Then I rethink. I go down to Pure Pop in Burlington, a solid bricks and mortar indie shop whose vinyl selection has been pretty good and getting better. I'm talking new stuff here, including overpriced rereleases as well as brand-new offerings. Low and behold they had the whole catalog. I skipped the first two (Pizza Deliverance and Gangstabilly) which I understand were put out before they found their songwriting groove, and pick up the rest; from New West records there's The Dirty South, Decoration Day, and A Blessing and a Curse, from Lost Highway I got Southern Rock Opera. I already have the latter two on cd and love them.
Only quibble? Lost Highway's SRO is, like most of their releases, of pretty bad pressing quality: many 'pimples' per side and both records with pretty good edge warps. The New West releases however are pristine, like the best I've ever seen. I'm a happy man and no resolutions broken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home